Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Vintage Server in (almost) Linen

I came across this little, vintage server by someone tagging me on my local FB classifieds page.  I just love that people are so thoughtful. Thank you! :)

The girl who had listed it did list the dimensions, but when I saw it in person it was a tad smaller than I had envisioned it.  It's such a sweet table.  I had a vision for it prior to seeing it, but upon seeing it in person that all changed. 

Because it is a smaller piece I wanted to keep it light and soft, but unique and maybe just a little bit fun. I am so drawn to soft turquoises (like Stefan to Elena, does anybody get that reference?) and I realized I've been doing it a lot lately!  Maybe I will finally have it out of my system. Ha! 



 Before

Cute, but a little ho-hum (ok, maybe a lot ho-hum!)



 After

When I finished it hubby came in the garage and I told him I wanted to keep it.  He had his back to me, but I could just hear the words he was trying so hard to contain and the look on his face.  He said, "Funny, cuz I think you should sell it." ;)




 I am still in love with Linen from General Finishes, and just lightened it a tad with some white paint I already had.  I wanted the drawer to compliment the paint, but to be different and stand out. I was a big scrapbooker before I started painting and have a ton of paper left over.  But, wouldn't you know in those drawers full of paper I couldn't find just the right one and had to make a HL trip. 
I'm glad I did!  

I also tried a couple different knobs, but liked the presence this pull had against these muted colors. 








Someone had previously refinished this piece.  When they did the stain they didn't wipe it all the way off and it hid the grain in the wood.  I sanded the top down with 150 and stained it with two coats of Java Gel (because I am completely, totally, and irrationally obsessed with it!).  I finished it off with 3 coats of Varathane in satin.







 I had this wooden applique left over from a different project and thought it would be a nice addition to the blank space on the back piece. I just did a wash of French Blue from Old Towne Paint and wiped off the excess.  Craig said, "It's subtle and ties the back in with the drawer. I like it. "
Who knew? ;)



 I also did the top edge of the drawer with the paper and I think it's my favorite part of the whole piece. It's the finishing touches I like the most!  It's so stinking cute! :)














8 comments:

  1. A total transformation! Just beautiful!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so SO so So love it! What a little cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that paper covered drawer with the paint color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Sigh* Oh, Lisa, you've done it again, my dear! My gosh you are good at this!

    I love this little washstand table - you have made it into something so awesome for today, love it love it!

    I need you to come to Ohio and help me, I just have no talents in this department, and you are the best of the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do the folks who 'adopt' your pieces truly appreciate the amazing attention to detail you give to every piece? Just amazing...and I hope you don't mind, but definitely Pinworthy! :)
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do such a fantastic job pulling everything together--details!!! Love it. :)

    -andi

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3