Thursday, December 20, 2012

A Desk For My Boys

For Christmas my boys wanted new beds (they are 13 & almost 15 and were still in bunk beds).  Well, you know how that goes.  I couldn't get them new beds and then just leave the rest of their room alone! ;)

I painted and decided they needed a desk to do their homework at so they weren't at the dining room table trying to study in the midst of chaos! 

I told them I was going to get them a new desk and paint their dresser and they both said, "No! Don't do that!"  I asked them why and they said, "We don't want you to do all that work when we are probably just going to destroy it!" Oh, aren't they so thoughtful??  lol  Well, they needed a desk and I had a desk, so I didn't listen and painted it anyway!  The dresser I will wait on...for now. ;)




Before




After

I sanded the top down and it was a beautiful piece of cherry, so I decided to stain it and do the rest of it black (I thought that was probably the only way they would accept it!).  




















I thought the knobs were metal because of the inlay on them, but they were actually wood painted gold, so I just painted and distressed them, too.



I think my camera is on the fritz!  Just in time for Santa to deliver, don't ya think??





Now to find a chair! :)


Linked up here:


15 comments:

  1. Beautiful job Lisa!
    Love the black!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Stacey. :) I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

      Delete
  2. Perfect desk for two young men... Love the black with the wood... Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I was very happy with it (I think they had to force some enthusiasm over it so they didn't hurt my feelings! lol) Thank you so much.

      Delete
  3. Great redo! Love the finish! Hope the boys enjoy it! Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE THE DESK , VERY POTTERY BARNISH! if thats a word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lauren. And, I am definitely a believer of making up your own words!! ;) Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  5. can you tell me the type of stain and paint you used? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa--I used Red Mahogany by Minwax for the top and then All Surface Enamel in stock black from Sherwin Williams. :)

      Delete
  6. That looks fabulous. Something you'd pay a fortune for at Pottery Barn. I love it. Oh, why can't I get motivated to repaint some things?? This does inspire me!!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope this is not a double comment. I love what you did to this desk. I have a desk identical to yours (the top of mine has more design) but this would look great. I am wondering exactly what you used? Primer? Paint? Distress? Then Sealer? I am trying to learn about painting furniture and really don't know regular paint vs. chalk paint and all those little details. I am ready to learn though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. how did you do the distressing on this? it is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3